Spoken form of the session:
The action of ‘nothing’ and not knowing.
(Hands covering ears, head looking down) Preparation has reached: 41, I am your anti-matter.
Written form of the session:
The action of ‘nothing’ (not knowing)
Preparation has reached: _____, __________.
Li E Chen (Full report with images: http://wp.me/pWz4M-xS)
People who attend the session:
No action, there is no action.
But it is an act with structure. A structure: a structure of not knowing.
“A structure of 3 on nothing”
Are you waiting for an idea to come along? Don’t wait, it will be too late.
Just keep doing, keep doing, not stopping, don’t worry, don’t even have time to worry, don’t even have time to think. Nothing makes senses. Doesn’t make senses at all.
John Cage’s 4”33 – “Nothing” is structured in the action of (Nothing). Silent performance/music. Player – Not Knowing -?
Just did it.
Just do it.
(no time to worry about it, no time to feel scared, no time to think.)
Actions to take:
1. Seeing a white crumble ball of paper on top of another piece of white paper on the floor.
2. Drawing the shadow of the crumble ball on the paper.
3. Taking the piece of paper and crumble ball home.
Actions after the session:
4. Recorded the crumble ball of paper on top of another piece of white paper on the bus. (Link: http://vimeo.com/29526332)
5. Revisited John Cage’s exhibition “Everyday is a good day”, 18 September 2011, at the Hayward Gallery (Link: http://wp.me/pWz4M-xS)
Discussion/un-edited notes of someone else’s session “What is threatening about abandoning structure?”
- Abandoning: Give up completely (a course of action, a practice, or a way of thinking)
- Formal structure
- Emerging structure
- Short forms (Bored with the same structure, doing the same structure again and again.)
- (Complication dynamic)
- Structure – good dangerous – dangerous
- Structure=formal (less interesting)
- Structure comes without knowing
- Expectation – Going to be so shit (can also be so brilliant)
- No structure at all?
- Drama schools/educations system & learning
- Impro: How do you solve the problem? But it is more than that?
- Fuctional result, education system.
- Bored/Bored with your own structure.
- Some creative people do not like structure or learning improvisation through structure.
- Your ego is always need to completely ‘let go’ and ‘free’ (completely not worry about it.)
- We are creature of structure with no structure at all and allow structure to emerge.
- Just keep doing it and doing good work, not to worry whether audience like it or not, etc.
- Ref: Keith (Being afraid of the structure; Killing the structure.)
- Other way: you know everything happening, but actually nothing really happen.
- A structure becomes a story that you tell.
- How do you ask your whole self? = (Body)
- Not being worried about things going wrong, not being worried about audience not like it.
- John Cage “Structure without life is dead. But Life without structure is un-seen”
- Noticing yourself your ego. Just noticing your ego is there.
- “Structure without life is dead. But life without structure is un-seen.” John Cage