Practical Strategies – Equal opportunities
List of Actions
How to measure when progress has been made
National Demographic quotas (contract compliance)
Withdraw from Eurocentric classical canon
Person who called the session:
Tyrone, David Tse, Ade Solanke
Who attended the session?
Brenda Garrick, Ailin Conant, Liz Chan, Chika Unaka, Tyrone, David Tse, Ade Solanke, Ian Rimington
Summary of discussion:
• Every producing theatre to have one commission of a BME written play
• Theatre should reflect the area that it is based – problem may ‘ghettoise’ the production.
• Need to reflect national demographic.
• National Arts policy
• The onus should be on us as BME artists to make changes.
• Casting policy needs to change across the board.
• Boycott of the classic plays older than 50 years.
• Want to see at least two shows a year directed by a BME person.
• BME people running theatres.
• Colour blind casting, with the actors chosen because of their ability.
• Must have demographic quotas, to address the issue of lack of BME actors on stage (In Arts Council policy)