Thursday 9 June 2011

What would happen if our imagination dies? Having imagination good or bad?

Convener: Li E Chen


Summary:

What would happen if our imagination dies? Having imagination good or bad?
I posted this question, because I was wondering what people would do if they lost their funding and what people would do if they still have or just have the funding. How are they going to keep their imagination and create works that can potentially great? If imagination dies, what would people do?
The discussion wasn’t discussed at the DandD evening, as I was drawn into another break-out space. I had amazing conversations on “Is funding any good?” which was raised by a recent graduated theatre student. The session brought together some really important life-time tips for working in the arts. Key point: To create and maintain freedom in your works while you are also being funded.
“You need to keep reminding yourself how you work when you weren’t funded, and make sure you can still do the same when you receive your funding.”
“ACE funds for the artists’ journey and is held different kinds of views.”
“What does “value” mean in making arts for the public? The value is not just for yourself, nor just for the others. It’s both, two independent relationships.”
“Giving things Free is good practice.”

After more than a week later from the DandD, I worked on my above issue:-
Below are some comments that I worked on during my artist residency, as I think above questions are still relevant today.
There are different kinds of imagination:
Bad imagination:

- imagination just for attention

- imagination to become someone that you’re not

- imagination theatre war

- imagination the future
- imagination for what you think it is right

- mix up imagination to real life

- is just about yourself

- want to control what you should be imagining

- your imagination is easily being killed

- not REAL to yourself

- stay focus with your imagination

- closed your eyes and never blink

- me

Good imagination

- imagination the dream of freedom

- imagination to become someone that you’re not

- imagination the future

- imagination from ‘nothing’ is there before

- imagination for what you think it is right

- don’t mix up imagination to real life

- is bigger than yourself

- to control what you imagine but be open about your surrounding: people, place, air, weather, location, economic situation, etc.

- stay focus with your imagination

- be REAL

- your imagination is easily being killed, dangerous, life and death
- closed your eyes, open your eyes, closed your eyes, open your eyes, blink your eyes and look

- our

What if our imagination dies?

What if someone imagine ‘nothing’?

what if our imagination does not connect to reality or the fake-reality?

what if we imagine time disappear and can’t be measured any more.

what if we can imagine ‘things’ that our hearts can’t feel, eyes can’t see, thoughts can’t define.


Collection quotes on imagination:
I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them. – Pablo Picasso
I am imagination. I can see what the eyes cannot see. I can hear what the ears cannot hear. I can feel what the heart cannot feel. – Peter Nivio Zarlenga
You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. – Mark Twain
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. – Carl Sagan
The lunatic, the lover, and the poet, are of imagination all compact. – William Shakespeare

—-
I don’t think I need to have PiƱa Bausch’s imagination in order to do great work.
I don’t think I need to have Trisha Brown’s imagination in order to do great work.
I will have my own and think what make senses to me. My imagination will be on ‘nothing’, the process of thinking ‘nothing’, the works on ‘nothing’, I imagine nothing to question, nothing to tell, nothing to do, I imagine what is best, say nothing, explain nothing, record nothing, create nothing. I might sing a song on nothing. I might create exhibition on nothing. I might write a play on nothing. I might create movement on nothing. My imagination of nothing is like wind, air, sun and noise from people and the city.

I haven’t answer the question.

No comments:

Post a Comment