Improbable's Monthly D&D Satellite: What are we going to do about Theatre Criticism?
June 21st 2011
Here is a list of issues that were raised during the evenings session, where the title is highlighted means that a corresponding report was typed up.
1. London V Everywhere else
2. Do audiences really care what critics think and is it different for bloggers?
3. 4 stars or 5 stars - Does it matter?
4. Criticising the crips.
5. Who do we do it for?
6. INNER CRITICS - What we say about ourselves & how this makes us relate to outer critics.
7. The role of peer review in theatre criticism
8. Who or what is the next Kenneth Tynan?
9. Professional Theatre criticism is too academic
10. Filtering out the noise
11. Should bloggers aim for (or be held to) some kind of professional standards/ code of conduct?
12. Total Theatre Critic? Reinventing the process the show and the thoughts you have after wards
13. Might it be time for a Showgirls Moment?
14. Who are the important critics? Artists vs Funders Vs Audience
15. 300 words or 1000 words. Does it change how you watch the show?
16. Beyond the words? What can theatre critics do beyond just writing words?
17. A critic isn't a person?
18. What role can (and should) PR play in Theatre?
19. Does having the right to reply make it right to reply?